Assented to 1994-06-23
Her Majesty, by using and with the advice and consent of the Senate and residence of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
1 This Act may be cited as the Department of Citizenship and Immigration Act.
Marginal note:Department established
2 (1) there is hereby hooked up a branch of the government of Canada called the branch of Citizenship and Immigration over which the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, appointed by using fee below the super Seal, shall preside.
The Minister holds workplace all through pleasure and has the management and direction of the department.
Marginal be aware:Deputy head
3 The Governor in Council might also appoint an officer called the Deputy Minister of Citizenship and Immigration to preserve workplace for the duration of satisfaction and to be the deputy head of the branch.
Powers, Duties and Functions of the Minister
Marginal note:Powers, duties and functions of Minister
4 The powers, duties and functions of the Minister extend to and include all matters over which Parliament has jurisdiction relating to citizenship and immigration and that are not by law assigned to any other department, board or agency of the Government of Canada.
- 1994, c. 31, s. 4;
- 2005, c. 38, s. 57.
5 (1) The Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, may additionally enter into agreements with any province or group of provinces or with any foreign government or worldwide organization, for the motive of facilitating the method, coordination and implementation — including the collection, use and disclosure of data — of guidelines and packages for which the Minister is responsible.
(2) The Minister might also input into preparations with any province or organization of provinces or with any overseas government or worldwide employer, for the reason of facilitating the formula, coordination and implementation — such as the collection, use and disclosure of information — of guidelines and packages for which the Minister is responsible.
- 1994, c. 31, s. 5;
- 2004, c. 15, s. 33.
5.1 (1) The Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, may additionally enter into an settlement with any overseas government for the availability of offerings in terms of the gathering, use and disclosure of biometric statistics and for the provision of immigration software offerings and different associated offerings on that government’s behalf for purposes related to the administration and enforcement of their immigration legal guidelines.
(2) The Minister might also enter into an association with any foreign authorities for the provision of offerings when it comes to the gathering, use and disclosure of biometric records and for the supply of immigration software services and different associated offerings on that government’s behalf for purposes associated with the administration and enforcement of their immigration legal guidelines.
Marginal note:Amounts received
(3) The Minister may additionally use the quantities obtained for the provision of services under an agreement or association — within the fiscal year in which they’re received or inside the following fiscal year — to offset the prices that the Minister incurs for the availability of such services.
- 2012, c. 17, s. 78.
- 2012, c. 17, s. 78.
Marginal note:Employment continued
6 (1) not anything on this Act will be construed as affecting the fame of an employee who, on the getting into pressure of this Act, occupied a role, in that part of the public service of Canada known as the corporate control sector (Citizenship and Immigration) of the branch of the Secretary of country of Canada or in those quantities of the public carrier of Canada defined in paragraph (b) of Order in Council %. 1993-1901 of November 4, 1993, except that every such employee shall, on the getting into force of this Act, occupy their role in the branch of Citizenship and Immigration beneath the authority of the deputy head of that branch.
Marginal note:Definition of “employee”
(2) on this segment, worker has the identical which means as in subsection 2(1) of the Public Service Employment Act.
- 7.Any amount appropriated, for the financial yr wherein this phase comes into force, by using an appropriation Act based totally at the Estimates for that 12 months for defraying the costs and prices of the public carrier of Canada inside the department of the Secretary of state of Canada and that, on the day on which this Act comes into pressure, is unexpended, is deemed, on that day, to be an amount appropriated for defraying the fees and costs of the branch of Citizenship and Immigration.
Marginal note:Powers, duties and functions
8 (1) Any strength, obligation or characteristic regarding citizenship or immigration that, immediately before the entering pressure of this Act, was vested in or exercisable with the aid of any of the individuals noted in subsection (2) below any Act, order, rule or regulation, or any contract, hire, licence or different document, is, on the coming into force of this Act, vested in and exercisable with the aid of the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, the Deputy Minister of Citizenship and Immigration or an appropriate officer of the department of Citizenship and Immigration, because the case can be.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), the humans are the Minister of Employment and Immigration, the Minister of Multiculturalism and Citizenship, the Minister of national health and Welfare, their respective Deputy Ministers, the Solicitor wellknown of Canada, the Deputy Solicitor trendy, the Secretary of country of Canada, the below-Secretary of country, the Chairman of the Canada Employment and Immigration fee and any officer below their control and path.